Tuesday, August 20, 2013

“Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could. Some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense.” Ralph Waldo Emerson

Today is the first day of what I view as the long haul.

My classes begin tomorrow. I am going back to school to get my bachelor degree. Sometimes, I think that I'm completely insane for doing this. I've been accepted to the health sciences college that is part of our local hospital, to study Respiratory Therapy. However, that program is in the middle of transitioning from an associate degree program to a bachelor program, so the junior level won't be offered until next year. In the meantime, I'm taking a year at the community college to get any prereqs out of the way (anatomy, ethics, medical terminology, and stats). I could have taken these courses at the other school, but it would have cost me $17,000 more. Easy choice. I'm a little worried because two of my classes are online, but I think I can handle it. I'm just going to have to get really OCD about scheduling my time. Because on top of a full time student course load, I have....

Work/Study Which is part of my financial aid. I'm working at the art museum, in their hands on kids room. I've only worked two days, and it's been fun but I haven't really gotten to do what we'll be doing most of the time because we're at a weird place with schools starting up and summer winding down. Once the schools are all open, a lot of what we do will be guiding groups that have come on field trips through various crafts and activities. I'm looking forward to it, because as much as I love getting paid to color, I've been pretty bored. The people all seem really nice too, which is a big relief. I was talking to the woman who is in charge of the summer camps (actually she's in charge of all school and outreach stuff) and she mentioned that she needs someone who can go into the schools and teach art classes, and I volunteered myself, only to learn that it's a paid position. She asked me to send her my resume, and I did. She's on vacay until the 27th though so I won't even know if I get an interview until then. Which sucks, I hate the waiting game.

 In other real job news, I'm kinda-sorta thinking about nannying some. Work/study should pay me enough to pay bills but that's it so I really need some other source of income to spend and save. I'll probably babysit occasionally, and there is one family I might work for a few hours a week, but if I get that art teacher position, and it pays me enough, it'd be easier not to have to work a bunch of random jobs. But I also don't really want to wait until the 27th to hear about that job and miss good opportunities in the meantime. I guess I'm on the fence. 


Married life is fantastic. Though, admittedly, not that different from unmarried life. Not relationship-wise at least. I've got a lot of new things starting right now, but we planned it this way. We wanted the stress of planning a wedding out of the way before I started this new journey. It's nice to know that I have a husband who will love and support me when this gets hard. Cause it's gonna be hard. I'm mildly terrified of my career, but I keep reminding myself that this is WHY you go to school- to prepare. I had an interesting talk with my father in law about it, particularly about people dying, and he reminded me that after a certain point, it's out of my hands. Also, I've never have to face it alone. When it's happening, I'll have a whole team of professionals working with me, and afterword I'll have my husman and my BFF and my fambily. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment